[Southeast-US] FOSS fork of "GIS Tutorial for Atmospheric Sciences"

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Wed May 6 20:07:03 PDT 2015

I noted your recent announcement of your "GIS Tutorial for Atmospheric Sciences"[1]. However, as a student of GIS and atmospheric science, I was dismayed (though not surprised) by its reliance on a proprietary OS/GIS stack, given increasing

* financial stress on higher education and its students
* dominance of Linux in scientific computing (esp atmospheric science), and the unavailability of ArcGIS on that OS
* demands for open science and reproducible research, especially in policy-relevant domains

That being said, I was pleased to note that

http://gis.ucar.edu/projects/course-introduction-gis

https://gis.ucar.edu/sites/default/files/uploads/Exercise1_2015.pdf
> © 2015 UCAR and UNC-Asheville. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License, which permits all non-commercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Just to be sure, I'd like to know if you (e.g., NCAR, UCAR, NSF) would object to an open-source fork of your tutorial: i.e.,

1. recreating your use cases (e.g., "Tornado Tracks") with your data, but using a purely FOSS[2] stack (e.g., components of the OSGeo stack[3] and Linux) rather than a proprietary stack (e.g., "Exploring ArcMap and ArcCatalog")
2. citing your original work
3. publishing with a similar CC license (e.g, CC BY-SA)
4. publishing to a public repository (e.g., Bitbucket, GitHub, GitLab, SourceForge)

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>

[1]: http://gis.ucar.edu/projects/course-introduction-gis
[2]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open-source_software
[3]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Source_Geospatial_Foundation#Projects