[Southeast-US] projects? "GIS Tutorial for Atmospheric Sciences"

Newcomb, Doug doug_newcomb at fws.gov
Thu May 7 10:33:42 PDT 2015

Work done by Federal Employees on the job cannot be copyrighted by the
employee ( i.e., we cannot assign copyright for journal articles because
it's not copyrighted) .  However, work done by contractors may be under
copyright, depending on how the contract is written.  Always good to check.

Doug

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 10:29 PM, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com> wrote:

> Vaclav Petras Wed, 6 May 2015 22:08:02 -0400
> >> Their Term of Use [1] are quite strict.
>
> Really?
>
> http://www2.ucar.edu/terms-of-use
> > 1. Site Content.  Throughout the Site you may access images,
> information, documents, software, data, models and services (collectively,
> the "Materials") developed at UCAR or provided by other Site users
> ("Contributors"). Some of these Materials are governed by their own
> specific terms of use and copyrights. In the absence of specific terms of
> use, these Terms of Use shall apply. The burden of determining that use of
> any Materials on or linked to a Site is permissible, rests with you, the
> user.
>
> > 2. Use. The user is granted the right to use the Site for
> non-commercial, non-profit research, or educational purposes only, without
> any fee or cost. In the event you breach these Terms of Use or any
> Material-specific terms or you infringe any copyrights, UCAR may pursue any
> and all legal and equitable remedies available to it, although UCAR is
> under no legal obligation to do so.
>
> As previously noted,
>
> Tom Roche Wed, 06 May 2015 21:45:58 -0400
> Furthermore, fork/recreate is pretty clearly "fair use," and there's no
> licensing on any of those pages that even tries to discourage that.
>
> Life Would Be Easier if they stuck a Creative Commons license on their
> materials, but I've never seen one on a Federal document (and I've seen
> lots of EPA docs, which are all public domain).
>
> >> I guess radical changes
>
> or "transformative"[2], hence "fair use"
>
> >> might be needed to adopt the material to a different software.
>
> FWIW, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>
>
> [1]: http://www2.ucar.edu/terms-of-use
> [2]:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use#1._Purpose_and_character_of_the_use

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the
Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.