[SriLanka] Self introduction

nimalika fernando nimalikaf at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 09:50:27 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I should have introduced myself before asking you all ! Sorry for the
delay.
I'm Nimalika. I am attached to SLIIT and involved in GIS related work for
few years.

I am a MapServer, GeoServer, QGIS + PostGIS  user .

I had a chance to offer Web-GIS module for MSc students at Postgraduate
Institute of Science few years back and MapServer was the main tool used.

I introduced GIS unit to university of Moratuwa/ Faculty of IT students in
2009 and the same module is now offering at SLIIT. We use QGIS as the main
software tool.  But students use various FOSS GIS tools in their projects.

Though I am attached to SLIIT, I am working closely with other
universities/ institutes and eager to see better use of FOSS GIS in local
context.

Cheers

Nimalika