[OSGeo-Standards] Re: OpenLayers WMS Context++

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 20:04:50 EDT 2007

As part of the OWS 5 testbed a few of us have signed up to add KML 3
support to Mapbuilder, Openlayers and Mapbender.
KML3 has not been fully speced out yet, but is rumored to be a merging
of OWS Context and KML2.
There has been discussion on the OpenLayers list to do much of the
development in Openlayers and then for Mapbuilder/Mapbender to gain the
functionality by using the OpenLayers engine.

On the current WMC and OWS Context front.
* Mapbuilder reads both WMC and OWS Context. Exporting Context from
Mapbuilder is a trivial exercise and there is already a save Context option.
* Mapbuilder has supported WMC since the project started, and OWS
Context for a year or 2.
* Lorenzo Becchi has an alpha WMC parser in Openlayers. I'm not sure
when this is likely to make it into the Openlayers trunk.

Examples:
(Mostly created by Mike Adair)
http://demo.communitymapbuilder.org/demo/mapbuilder/demo/contextEditor/index.html
http://demo.communitymapbuilder.org/demo/mapbuilder/demo/OWSExplorer/index.html

I'm currently extending these demos to support Catalog search as well.

--
Cameron Shorter
Systems Architect, http://lisasoft.com.au