[Fwd: [OSGeo-Standards] WMS-C and Capabilities]

Mark Leslie mrk.leslie at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 00:03:59 EDT 2008

Jody Garnett wrote:

>Christopher Schmidt wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 11:53:33AM -0700, Jody Garnett wrote:
>>
>>> This discussion is fascinating to me as it does not align with my
>>> expectations ... my expectation is that this
>>> WMS-C documents some additional vendor specific capabilities that are
>>> added to an existing WMS (much like SLD support is added to an existing
>>> WMS).
>>>
>>> As such I am expecting to see a WMS with vendor specific capabilities
>>> letting me know that some TileSets are available; and that if I call
the
>>> existing GetMap operation in just the right way I can make use of it.
>>>
>>> So I was not expecting to see a standalone TileCache.
>>>
>> Right. I'm not aware of any caching tile server which also serves
>> non-cached data with regular WMS requests, but the WMS spec was designed
>> to allow that.
>>
>I was more thinking for a WMS implementation that had some caching
>support built in. Sounds like we have set up the convention to allow for
>this; but lack a proof of concept.
>
>However the point is made - Andrea is correctly describing the existing
>implementations. While this is not what I expected I can certainly roll
>with it; now if only there was a good way to tell where the source WMS
>server is :-P
>
>Thanks for answering my questions everyone.
>Jody

There's another (potential) standard to consider, which is the OpenGIS
Web Map Tiling Service Discussion Paper.  From what I can gather, this
is the evolution of the wmsc proposal, but they have made the decision
to clearly separate it from the WMS spec, GetTile instead of GetMap for
example.  It's not a spec yet, but OWS-6 is looking to change that from
the sounds of it.
I don't have a link to the paper, but the number is OGC 07-057r4.

--
Mark Leslie
Geospatial Software Architect

Ph: +61 2 8570 5000 Fax: +61 2 8570 5099 Mob: +61
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf 19-21 Pirrama Rd Pyrmont NSW 2009

LISAsoft is part of the A2end Group of Companies
http://www.ardec.com.au
http://www.lisasoft.com
http://www.terrapages.com