[Fwd: [OSGeo-Standards] WMS-C and Capabilities]

Carl Reed creed at opengeospatial.org
Fri Aug 29 14:00:05 EDT 2008

All -

To be very clear, the WMTS document is not an "illegal" document for use in
the open community.

Yes, the latest version (r5) has not been publicly released by the OGC.
However, an earlier version is publicly available. Further, all Change
Requests to an existing OGC standard are now considered public
(http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/cr). We are working the kinks out
of the pubic web app so that all outstanding CRs are available for public
review and comment.  Finally, I have the authority to share in-progress
documents with other standards organizations. Once there is an official
request, all I need to do as ask the appropriate OGC Working Group (by
email) for approval to share. This is how I share early version of documents
with ISO, the IETF, and OASIS. While OSGeo is not a formal standards
organization, I feel that an open collaboration on key standards activities
is highly appropriate.

So, apologies for not having been clear on certain OGC policies before.
Going forward, if there is an OGC document that is not public and the OSGeo
community feels that that document is important enough to share for
discussion and comment prior to public release, please let me know!

Regards

Carl