[OSGeo-Standards] WPS brouhaha after the #geoserver meeting

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Tue Mar 4 13:05:50 EST 2008

Good morning standards buddies; in todays GeoServer IRC meeting (in 2
hours time) we are going to look pretty hard at the WPS specification.
It will be the last topic on the agenda so anyone interested could
arrive a bit late.

A couple weeks ago Jo asked for a run down on how SOAP/WSDL differed
from the OGC approach; the comparison provided in the WPS 1.0
specification is actually pretty good. I also admire their tactic in
using SOAP/WSDL (mostly looks like for the tools support against well
established end points) to set up a Query / Response chain; with the
option of the inputs and outputs being references. This is an amazing
hack that allows the data (that is too large to fit down a  SOAP pipe
cleanly) to have a separate data stream; managed using another set of
standards (they mention FTP sites; but I get the impression WFS would
also work...).

I do also have one question:
- the picture C.8 is missing (a broken link) on page 65; if anyone has
access to the picture it would be really nice to see everything.

Jody
PS. I have some notes here:
http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/HACK/WPS