[Geojson] [OSGeo-Standards] EPSG + Coordinate Ordering (Was Re: GeoJSON '1.0'?)

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Thu Mar 13 19:37:06 EDT 2008

Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> That was not the plan for GeoJSON. The additional flag would not change
> the data in any way, all it would do would be to accept, and describe,
> the mapping from EPSG:4326 to the way GeoJSON works. The spec was (is)
> very clear that the coordinate order is *always* x, y, z.

Heh; I am with the OGC on this one (it is impossible to please everyone
on this issue) - Even if you document the specification in x, y, z order
if it does not match the EPSG database axis order then you are going to
have problems with some data somewhere - and thus need a flag.

Any chance you guys can just leave off the "EPSG:" part and go with
"JSON:4326" :-)
Jody