[OSGeo-Standards] Re: [Aust-NZ] ESRI/Google indexing spatial data. Where is OGC?

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au
Mon May 26 19:33:13 EDT 2008

IMO:

Cameron,

I think that this is only a simplistic part of the 'search' debate.

It will certainly not replace the need for quality spatial metadata or
metadata catalogues.

When you look at the potential shown by OGC's OWS-5 work, I suspect that
the need for quality and definitive catalogues / registries will increase
(dramatically).

For further comments, see my response to Adena's post at:

http://apb.directionsmag.com/archives/4293-GoogleESRI-Announcement-in-Plain-English.html

Bruce Bannerman

Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>
Sent by: aust-nz-bounces at lists.osgeo.org
27/05/2008 06:19 AM

shoaib <saburq at gmail.com>
cc
standards at lists.osgeo.org, Aust-NZ OSGeo <Aust-NZ at lists.osgeo.org>
Subject
Re: [Aust-NZ] ESRI/Google indexing spatial data. Where is OGC?

OSGeo Standards,
 From the Australian/New Zealand discussions about developing Geonetwork
comes this announcement:

shoaib wrote:
> On the topic of Web2.0 at Where2.0 conference last week, ESRI and
> Google made a joint announcement stating a partnership to start
> indexing spatial data and spatial web services on Google search
> technology. The implications of this are huge from the perspective of
> the industry as a whole. This opened a lot of questions about the
> place of OGC Catalogue Services.

Does anyone know if ESRI/Google will be using Standards to achieve their
indexing?
Ie, can Open Source packages like Geonetwork plug into this new work?
Should we  be worrying about vendor lock out?

 > Aust-NZ mailing list

> Aust-NZ at lists.osgeo.org

Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect