[OSGeo-Standards] Looking for something simpler than GeoJOSN.

Sunburned Surveyor sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 15:21:12 EDT 2009

I'm looking for a text file format that can be used to store simple
features. I took a look at GeoJOSN, but I need somethign simpler. I
need to read and write this file format from AutoLISP, which is not a
high-power programming language. The file format will work best if all
of the information for a single feature will be placed on a single
line in the text file.

I was thinking of using a delimited text file in which the first
column was always the feature geometry as a WKT geometry enclosed in
qoutes. The following values were attribute values of the feature. The
first line of data in the text file would contain the name and data
type of each of the attributes.

Do you guys know of a format that comes close to this criteria? I'd
like to use something existing if I can. If there isn't an existing
format, could we get some consensus on a similar format from some of
the OSGeo members on this mailing list?

If we can find an existing file format to use, or can agree on one, I
will write input/output code for the format in AutoLISP and Java. If
the GeoTools community is willing, I will place the Java code for the
file format under the LGPL and in a GeoTools module.

Thanks for the input.

Landon