[OSGeo-Standards] TMS and WMTS

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 18:12:48 EDT 2010

What were the failings with the development of the OGC Tiling standard?

My understanding is that the OSGeo community collaboratively developed a
tiling "standard", and then rolled it into Open Source software with
lightening speed (by OGC terms).
If the OGC were aware of this development, their involvement was
minimal, probably due to OGC's development cycle which involves floating
an idea, getting sponsors, going to tender, selecting, implementing,
rolling into a standard.

Suggested improvement: OGC to be made aware of OSGeo "standards"
development early, and be invited to participate in OSGeo community
standards development process.

Suggested improvement: OGC to notify stakeholders of OSGeo "standards"
development efforts and invite participation.

Later, the OGC initiated a process for the development of tiling
standards. As far as I'm aware, none of the OSGeo standards development
participants were involved in the OGC efforts. And further, I don't
think that the OGC built upon or carried through any information from
the OSGeo tiling "standard". This led to a significant gap between the
OSGeo and OGC camps.

Suggested improvement: OGC should actively attempt to build upon defacto
standards if they exist (this would include Google titling conventions
as well as OSGeo conventions). This will facilitate increased uptake of
OGC standards.

Suggested improvement: OGC should actively try to engage key players
from "defacto standards" in formalising standards.

Open Source projects with no money are often key players in standards
deployment because they have significant mindshare and uptake. However
the business model for Open Source puts Open Source at a disadvantage
when competing against Proprietary projects to work on OGC testbeds.
Open Source implementations of OGC testbeds are handed back to the
community, so that any future company can use the implementation for
free. Proprietary projects can sell licences to their projects after
working on an OGC testbed, and make up R&D looses associated with the
testbed participation by selling licensed software.

Suggested improvement: The OGC should weight OGC testbed funding to
favour  Open Source implementations, as the implementations are
significantly more valuable to OGC sponsors and the greater GIS
community as the implementations are made available for free.

--

I'm CCing a number of people I'm aware have been involved in the
development of the tile standards. I expect that they will correct or