[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: [OSGeo-Standards] TMS and WMTS

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Thu Apr 8 08:28:24 EDT 2010

Brian,
most points taken, thank you. It seems like we are not too far apart.
See below for the one minor issue that has bothered me for some time.

Brian Russo wrote:
> [...]
> a policy decision to force adoption. I get that, I really do. But it's
> not just an academic argument - if you have users that really need to
> get the data.. well you can't just hand them the standards document
> and tell them to write a client. Because again.. ultimately users
> don't care about formats.. they care about content. They want
> information they can use.. not data. Putting data in an inaccessible
> format - open or proprietary - is ultimately no different than locking
> the drives in a safe. If I can't use it it doesn't exist.
>
> And of course that's the hard part.. getting from here (the
> proprietary status quo) to there (the open world of unicorn
> happiness).
>

>> KML is more interesting from the governance perspective. And I am pretty
>> happy that KML is not owned by Google any more but by the OGC because
>> the OGC is a non-profit organization dedicated to make the world
>> interoperate. When KML came out everybody was full of praise for the
>> pragmatic way of doing things. Now that it is in the OGC it sucks again?
>> Funny.
>
> I'll honestly say that I've always disliked Google Earth from an
> organisational perspective for one simple reason.
>
> Mission Creep.
>
> Non-GIS users look at it and see.. maps! With stuff on it! Hey that's
> GIS right? The problem is from a enterprise standpoint is.. Google
> Earth is just a viewer. And there have been a lot of attempts to
> shoe-horn in GIS-like capabilities but ultimately it is a viewer that
> is a silo where things go in but don't really come out. I realize KML
> can exist apart from Google Earth, but we're not using it that way and
> have no plans to.. I haven't seen anyone that does. Perhaps if GML
> didn't exist then we'd start to see people using the KML syntax to do
> GIS? Who knows, that could be interesting.
>
> So in other words, while I have no issue with KML itself,
> operationally I've only really seen it associated to GE (which I
> dislike).
>
>> Google now has to ask a diverse bunch of spatial experts, geo
>> professionals and neo geographers if their changes to KML are worth
>> pursuing. And OGC makes sure that even you have a say in the public
>> comment period. Not bad, huh? But it gets even cooler. You could be one
>> of those diverse spatial experts, geo professionals and neo geographers
>> and join the process right from the start! If you think it sucks, then
>> you can say so right away. Why wait until many people have invested lots
>> of time and written large incomprehensible documents? You are wasting
>> other people's time by complaining *afterwards*.
>
> Sure, point the way.
>

>> No offense taken please. Maybe I got carried away just a bit.
>
> Not at all. I'm sure I offended some people but that's ok. I have no
> problem voicing my opinion even if it's not popular. Saying GML blows
> is probably heresy to some but it's the truth. CAP is another standard

In my perception it seems quite the opposite. For a good Open Sourcerer
it seems to be good style to belittle the achievements of the OGC and to
bash them wherever possible. It just feels a bit short sighted because
we would profit from working closer with them.

> I predict will fail. Good idea but just ultimately way too
> complicated. Someone could probably do a thesis correlating schema
> length to failure rate for XML and similar document formats.
>

>  - bri

Good idea, I'll propose that to the next sociology student who asks me
for a PHD thesis...

Regards,
Arnulf

- --