[OSGeo-Standards] OGC SF 06-103r3: dimension(), coordinateDimension() and spatialDimension()

Rushforth, Peter Peter.Rushforth at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Wed Sep 8 08:27:49 EDT 2010

Hi,

Dimension() is described by the spec:

Dimension ( ): Integer - The inherent dimension of this geometric object, which must be less than or equal
to the coordinate dimension. In non-homogeneous collections, this will return the largest topological
dimension of the contained objects.

CoordinateDimension() and SpatialDimension() are not directly described.

By the description of Dimension, I'm guessing that CoordinateDimension() should return the number of dimensions of the coordinate reference system in which the geometry is defined.

But what about SpatialDimension()?

I'm guessing there is an interplay with Z and M values somehow, but it's not clear to me if SpatialDimension() is needed.

Thanks for any insight here.

Peter Rushforth
Technology Advisor / Conseiller technique
GeoConnections / GéoConnexions
650-615 Booth St. / rue Booth
Ottawa ON K1A 0E9
E-mail / Courriel: Peter.Rushforth at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Phone / Télephone: (613) 943-0784
Fax / telecopier:  (613) 947-2410