[OSGeo-Standards] OpenSearch Geo: BBox and Geometry

Volker Mische volker.mische at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 13:43:31 EST 2011

Hi all,

I haven't found anything in the current OpenSearch Geo draft about the
semantics of having multiple spatial operators at the same time.

For example you have a query with a bounding box and a geometry. As I
think in terms of a web mapping client I would expect that such a query
returns the intersection ("boolean and") of those geometries.

Think of a geometry that queries everything within Germany. When you are
zoomed in pretty close into Germany (you don't see any borders), you
want to return only the points in the current bounding box, not the
whole of Germany. When you zoom out to see the whole of Europe, you
obviously don't want to have data other than the one within Germany.

I think an "boolean and" should lead to sensible results no matter which
operations are combined (even with geo:name or geo:radius).

Cheers,
  Volker