[OSGeo-Standards] WMTS and TMS opposing grid origins (top-left vs bottom-left)

Raj Singh rsingh at opengeospatial.org
Fri Dec 6 09:09:10 PST 2013

I asked some of the WMTS experts in OGC and here's a paraphrase of the response I received.

"Integer-based coordinate systems are usually oriented starting 0,0 at the top left.  It especially makes sense when they're meant to be linearly mapped to screen/image pixel coordinates (which has 0,0 at the top left).  It's the way WMS GetFeatureInfo I,J is oriented, and the way Google Maps tiles are oriented.  I believe it's also the way ArcGISMap tiles are oriented.  TMS appears to be the exception."

---
Raj
The OGC: Making location count.
http://www.opengeospatial.org/ogc/organization/staff/rsingh