[OSGeo-Standards] [OSGeo-Discuss] Live DVD and OGC standards

Allan Doyle afdoyle at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 8 17:42:02 PDT 2013

On Jul 8, 2013, at 1:38 PM, Carl Reed <creed at opengeospatial.org>
 wrote:

> Allan -
>
> I respectfully disagree with your comment regarding the authors not wanting to bring GeoRSS into the OGC. I know that Raj, myself and other original authors would support bringing GeoRSS into the OGC as is.

You're right, I'm sorry. I did not mean to misrepresent. My memory is hazy on who was on what side.

I think at the time my arguments against were primarily due to OGC's process and position on intellectual property rights.

At the time, the process entailed long periods of document revision within working groups during which the document was not allowed to be made public. What eventually came out the other side would not become public until after the TC (a) voted to adopt the spec and (b) finished the process of addressing any comments that may have come up during debate about adoption. I don't know whether the process has been streamlined since then.

Also at the time, another objection I had was that OGC was either in the process or had already handed off some number of specs to ISO where they are now available under ISO copyright for a fee. I think this included things like the Simple Features abstract spec (now ISO 19107) and the metadata model (now ISO 19115). The very fact that OGC was willing to take the hard work of the members and hand it to ISO where it would be sold was quite a sore point with me.

I also firmly believe that the existence of "indie" specs that are successful can be inspirational to people who would not otherwise have thought of working on specs.

If you think there is still a benefit to GeoRSS in running it through the OGC process, then I'll withdraw my objection. However, any changes would necessitate bumping up the version number and probably the namespace ID.

	Allan