[OSGeo-Standards] Was: "file" formats. Is: GeoWeb

Rushforth, Peter Peter.Rushforth at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Thu Jul 11 09:14:46 PDT 2013

Hi Peter,

Thanks for entertaining this discussion.

> hm, then we are out of the world of imagery - links embedded
> in NetCDF files is not the use case we have.

Can NetCDF conceivably contain (recognizable) hyperlinks?  If not,
could the http response include the link header [1] ?  From what
I understand, the headers can be considered part of the hypertext,
although at that point you are working at the protocol level,
which is a bit more opaque to users, hence probably won't scale
as easily because it requires more elaborate tooling.

Alternatively, a response formated as Atom [2], [3] could provide a hypertext
base for responses.

> Actually, this view of the Web at large points to
> graph-oriented structures - one of the core data structures
> relevant in our times.

Yes!  This is how/why the Web works!  Note that in the WebArch document
I mentioned earlier, they credit this as being perhaps dominant reason
for the web's success.  I would also say simplicity is a factor,
per the rule of least power. [4]

> However, another fundamental structure
> is that of a multi-dimensional array. This structure is not
> supported very much these days.

Well I won't be able to contribute meaningfully on that level ;-)

But, I have confidence that hypertext can stretch to accomodate that
concept too, if necessary.

Regards,
Peter

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5988