[OSGeo-Standards] Was: "file" formats. Is: GeoWeb

Baumann, Peter p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
Thu Jul 11 11:44:58 PDT 2013

- well, a coverage is a collection (set) of features, with some particular constraints (gridding, same feature ("pixel") type). This set and its components reflect phenomena, they are "real", a "resource"
- a tile is an artifact resulting from performance optimization. It is not reflecting anything relevant in reality, so it is not a "resource". And on coverages specifically, tiling for clients will fail miserably.
- REST and http discussion is good on the link / graph level of the Web, but has no advantage for discussing coverage handling and its internals. Wrong paradigm.
- even more so when it comes to service functionality. This is all to high level - let's get concrete: we need paradigms to express subsetting, NDVI computation, climate anomaly detection, etc.
- <advertisement>With the WCS 2 suite we have a rich, flexible toolkit for describing, querying, analyzing coverages independently from their encoding format, and independent from KVP, SOAP, REST.</advertisement> ...Anything you are missing in WCS? Please let me know, I'm sure there is more that can be done on it.

   Peter

--
Dr. Peter Baumann- Professor of Computer Science, Jacobs University Bremen
  http://www.faculty.jacobs-university.de/pbaumann
  mail: baumann at rasdaman.com
"Si forte in alienas manus oberraverit hec peregrina epistola incertis ventis dimissa, sed Deo commendata, precamur ut ei reddatur cui soli destinata, nec preripiat quisquam non sibi parata." (mail disclaimer, AD 1083)