[OSGeo-Standards] [REST.SC] Was: "file" formats. Is: GeoWeb

Carl Reed creed at opengeospatial.org
Tue Jul 16 16:02:16 PDT 2013

Pat -

Well, Sahana uses a number of catalogs and registries:
http://sahana.davisnz.org/www/index.php?mod=cs&act=default (aid catalog)
http://sahana.davisnz.org/www/index.php?mod=mpr&act=default (missing person
registry)
http://en.flossmanuals.net/sahana-eden/what-is-sahana-eden/ (Eden
catalogues)

And Ushahidi references Google Maps API which in terms references an imagery
catalog.

I do not think the argument is about the value of social networks. The OGC
community is involved in numerous projects and applications that are dealing
with citizen scientists, crowd-sourced geo-content and so forth. One example
is COBWEB.

However, this does not minimize the need for some type of registry/catalog
technology and the interfaces that support CRUD activities to those
resources. Sure, traditional catalog interfaces have often been difficult
and time consuming to use, although automated metadata and CSW apps have
made this process much easier. I think we need to perhaps separate the
discovery of something I tweet versus discovery of a massive imagery archive
with substantial associated metadata - such as provided by DigitalGlobe,
ESA, NASA, NGA, and so forth. In these large systems, cataloguing is often
an automated part of the process. If "enabled" by some consistent API or
interface (RESTful, CSW or whatever), then data discovery is facilitated.
Further, there is the quality and other metadata associated with the imagery
that can be used to determine fit for purpose.

One of the big study areas in COBWEB is determining analytical techniques
for determining the quality of and the consistency of collection of crowd
sourced geo content.

As to FaceBook, Twitter, Google etc I believe that they all use Hadoop and
MapReduce. There are numerous activities to spatially enable Hadoop. An
interesting presentation here:
http://www.slideshare.net/Hadoop_Summit/grailer-hochmuth-june27515pmroom212v3
. Many of the primary data sources are the US Government - USDA, USGS, etc.
Guess what: they are have extensive catalogues. EBay has an extensive
catalog API. Many other technology platforms suggest they do not have
catalogs but if one digs more deeply, one finds catalogues disguised as

Anyway, I think that both approaches have high value and the OGC as a
community should think about harmonious utilization of a range of solutions
to solve our data sharing and processing issues - and avoid some of the
either or discussions that we seem to get dragged into on an increasing
basis!

My late afternoon missive . . . Hopefully this email does not start another
rat-hole (IETF term) discussion!

Cheers

Carl