[OSGeo-Standards] OGC vote on LAS 1.4 as a community standard

Allan Doyle adoyle at intl-interfaces.com
Tue Jan 31 07:20:36 PST 2017

> On Jan 31, 2017, at 3:40 AM, Peter Baumann <p.baumann at jacobs-university.de> wrote:
>

> Again, I understand where you come from - an OSGeo context - where things tend
> to get sorted out by political rhetorics rather than engineering work.

While there might be good engineering work going on at OGC, in my experience when a spec is ready for vote in the TC, there are a few people who really understand it, a few people who have a business or other financial stake in its passage or failure to pass, and the overwhelming majority has no specific opinion, and often, no actual understanding of the issues. Yet in order to achieve a quorum, votes must be received from a set of people that is larger than those who have an engineering or financial stake.

Thus I think "political rhetorics" vs. "engineering work" is a problem felt in many places and discussion might be easier if we recognize that.

	Allan