Anyone want to do a MapServer demo???

Bob Basques bob.basques at CI.STPAUL.MN.US
Fri May 12 11:05:35 EDT 2006

Stephen Lime wrote:
> > 20 minutes is not much time, not nearly enough to talk about
> > MapServer. I think
> > we could easily mention some of the typical tools used with MapServer
> > (e.g. GDAL,
> > PostGIS) but more than that will be too much. IMHO...
It will be really hard to convey much in just 20 min.   The Main
capabilities should be stressed, along with user tools available for
developing.  I would approach something like this as a sales pitch, just
mention the high points without getting into too much detail, let the
audience come to you afterwords.

Another related piece would be where to direct folks that are interested
in pursuing an OpenSource solution.   To newbies especially, this is a
fairly overwhelming.   Even someone to coach the newer users along a
path would be a good thing.

Maybe too early to bring up something like this, but some sort of answer
forum (manned by live bodies, even a focused getting started forum might
be something to talk about at the meeting as well.  I don't have the
idea completely thought out, just thinking about when I (we) jumped into
using MapServer . . .

bobb