[TCMUG] MN GIS/LIS Conference

Paul Wickman pwickman at northstargeographics.com
Mon May 11 10:36:35 EDT 2009

I think using QGIS for a PostGIS intro is the way to go.  I was actually
going planing to submit an abstract for an 'intermediate' QGIS workshop
anyway, to follow on the beginner course I'm giving at the spring
workshops later this month.

So how about this... I'll submit a plan for a 1/2 day intermediate QGIS
workshop that will focus on two topics; working with PostGIS databases
and exporting MapServer configs.  I'll cover other things as well, but
those will be the two main points.  That could tie in to a couple other
afternoon options for someone to teach, such as taking the MapServer
configs and plugging them into GeoMoose, or getting more deeply into
PostGIS.  Does that sound good?

Unfortunately, I'm out of town tomorrow and won't be at the social.
But, if folks generally agree with this approach I'll go ahead and get
an abstract submitted for the QGIS workshop.

On an unrelated topic... I'd like to volunteer to present at the June
meeting.  Len Kne and I developed a "MapServer Mobile" application for
one of my clients to use in their field work this summer.  Nothing out
of the ordinary as far as software goes (MS4W, OpenLayers, CodeIgniter
and PostGIS) but I can show the app and talk about some of the
challenges with running all this stuff on an HP Mini netbook.

-Paul