[Tilecache] Broken Labels

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Aug 2 12:27:04 EDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 05:24:07PM +0100, Tyler Durden wrote:
> On 8/2/07, Tim Schaub <tschaub at openplans.org> wrote:
>
> > Wow, I didn't even thing TileCache was up to 2.0 :)
>
> Sorry, the 4.0 version is for Mapnik
>
> > You can use meta tiles so that partial labels match across tile
> > boundaries.  If you still get partial labels at the edge of your meta
> > tile (inside the buffer), you have to configure your tile renderer to
> > not place labels near the edge - not certain how/if this is accomplished
> > in Mapnik.

Actually, in Mapnik, this isn't a problem, because labels are placed
geographically -- so two independant tile requests, so long as they have
an overlapping area including the labelled point, will both include the
label in the exact same geographic location.

The only consideration that needs to be made is that the metaBuffer --
the area drawn around the map -- is large enough to include the distance
between the edge of any labels and the 'point' being labelled -- I
succesfully use a metaBuffer of 40, and have no problems.

> How do I do that?

In your config:

metaTile=yes
metaBuffer=40

As is described in the config file in the distribution.