[Tilecache] TileCache on PythonCE

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Aug 3 08:56:17 EDT 2007

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 09:22:06AM +0800, Rupert wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Apologies if this is a little off topic.
>
> I am trying to create a mapping application through Windows Mobile WM5,
> however,internet connectivity is not an option at this point, so I have to
> resort to local resources...
>
> Is it possible to load TileCache on a WM5 Device using PythonCE,
> then serve the images using a WMS Client? Any other Mobile WMS Client
> suggestions?
>
> Resources:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pythonce
> http://www.skylab-mobilesystems.com/en/products/j2me_wms_client.html

How much storage do you have? Do you have enough disk to just store
rendered versions of all of your tiles on disk? (Are you sure you don't?
Really sure? :)) If so, you might use TileCache or some similar tool to
slice up all your data, then just copy the directory struture over, and
create a client to access them.

Note that any existing WMS client -- aside from OpenLayers -- will
not support loading data from TileCache. It is a WMS-C server, not a WMS
server, so you would probably need to load the images using OpenLayers
-- however, if the WM5 client has IE, it should be able to run a local
OpenLayers app.

That said, it looks like TileCache will run on PythonCE, at a first
pass look.