[Tilecache] How to limit the diskcache size?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Aug 27 08:35:19 EDT 2007

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 12:16:15PM +0200, Eric Lemoine wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 8/26/07, Paul Spencer <pagameba at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Louvy,
> >
> > you can use tilecache_clean.py, see the README (last section) for
> > details on cleaning the tilecache.  You'll just need to run it often
> > enough to keep your cache under control.
>
> That makes me wonder if that'd be interesting to implement a Least
> Recently Used algorithm in TileCache. The user could specify a cache
> size, and once the cache is filled up, TileCache can use LRU to
> replace least recently used tiles by new ones. Just thinking out loud
> here...
>
> What do people think?

The "memcached" Cache is designed exactly for that -- though that only
works out well if the size of your memory is greater than the size of
disk space you'd be willing to dedicate to your cache.

A least recently used disk-based cache would be nice, but I would
recommend checking out existing projects to make sure that what you want
doesn't already exist.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tugela_Cache

I believe that this has the same protocol as memcached -- which means it
could be used with the existing Memcached Cache source -- and stores to
disk instead of to memory. I'm not positive, but it seems like this
might be the easiest way to move forward with a disk based LRU cache in
the short term.

I'd be happy to have connections to other LRU disk based caching tools,
or to have someone build their own if nothing else works.