[Tilecache] Using Tilecache WMS from Win32 app

David E. Reksten der at dod.no
Wed Dec 5 12:03:49 EST 2007

On 05/12/2007, brindahl <rindahl at lrcwe.com> wrote:

> David E. Reksten wrote:
> >

> > Has anybody tried to use Tilecache as a WMS provider for a Win32
> > application? We can modify the app somewhat to accomodate tile sizes
> > and resolutions, etc, but we'd rather not do anything major.
> >
> > But is it feasible? Has anybody done anything similar before?
> >

> In the past month I have installed TileCache on a WinXP machine for testing
> and Win2003 server for production.  I will be using Mapserver WMS in
> conjunction with TileCache from now on.  For web applications (and hopefully
> soon Google Earth) I use TileCache.  For applications that need WMS (i.e.
> ArcGIS) Mapserver is called directly.
>
> Some quick hints for Windows.  I used Apache as the server and mod_python.
> I could not get TileCache to work under CGI.  Get mod_python running first
> before you play with TileCache.  The most important thing here is you get
> the version of mod_python that matches BOTH the Apache version and the
> Python version.  Then set up TileCache.  There can be some configuration
> issues depending on the version of mod_python.
>
> Hope this helps
> Bruce

Thanks for your reply. We've got Tilecache up and running smoothly
with Openlayers on Windows 2003 Server (Apache + mod_python), no
problem there.

What we want is to access the Tilecache WMS from an application rather
than a browser.

ESRI ArcMap, e.g., is able to retrieve WMS background maps, but this
unfortunately does not work with Tilecache. I suspect the reason is
that Tilecache does not like the arbitrary bbox values that ArcMap
generates.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Regards,
David