[Tilecache] A tilecache tutorial

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Feb 27 18:29:18 EST 2007

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 06:19:36PM -0500, Adrian Zhao wrote:
> Thanks Chris.  That is exactly I am trying to ask at first place.
>
> If this is the case, I don't need to change my client code which can
> issue a MWS GetMap call without any knowledge about tile, right?

TileCache will *only* request tiles from the WMS which fit according to
the WMS-C spec. (Other tiles will receive errors.) If you're off from
the WMS-C spec -- as defined by your tc config -- by more than a pixel,
you get a message like "Request did not match tile bounds."

So, your client has to know how to follow one of the existing specs to
request tiles.

OpenLayers does this by default, out of the box, with no configuration.
This is one of the reasons why it fits well with TC.