[Tilecache] Cascading tilecache ?

François Van Der Biest f.vanderbiest at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 11:28:31 EDT 2007

Hi list,

I'd like to use TileCache to handle a great number of WMS requests for a
cartography-enabled website advertising a public european event. The problem
is that there will be many requests at a time (peak estimated around 2000
tiles per sec) and the region to be cached is large.

There are 4000 points of interest for which we would like tiles to load very
quickly.
This is the reason why I suggested to use two cascading tilecache:
 - first one on the front machine, with memorycache enabled and a lot of RAM
 - second one on the WMS providing machine (the one with mapserver
installed) with diskcache enabled and a big fast disk.

Is this kind of thing feasible, and do you see alternatives /
recommendations ?

Thank's for your experience,

F.