[Tilecache] Cascading tilecache ?

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Tue Mar 13 11:41:20 EDT 2007

An alternative might be to write a new caching strategy, that combines
memcache and disk cache.  In the java world most of the caching engines
have an option to cache things in memory till it's full, and then go to
disk.  And to use a Least Recently Used strategy to determine what to
move from memory to disk.

OSCache is a java one that does it:
http://www.opensymphony.com/oscache/wiki/FAQ.html#FAQ-size

You might try to port that code to Python.  This may be a bit more work
than hacking some cascading TileCache, but it'd be more immediately
useful to a wider number of people.  And TileCache was designed to
easily plug in different caching strategies.  If you did want it on two
machines, you could make the LRU strategy fall back on either disk or an
alternate TileCache instance.

Chris