[Tilecache] Cascading tilecache ?

Schuyler Erle sderle at metacarta.com
Wed Mar 14 06:56:52 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 16:28 +0100, François Van Der Biest wrote:

> There are 4000 points of interest for which we would like tiles to
> load very quickly.
> This is the reason why I suggested to use two cascading tilecache:
>  - first one on the front machine, with memorycache enabled and a lot
> of RAM
>  - second one on the WMS providing machine (the one with mapserver
> installed) with diskcache enabled and a big fast disk.

This would probably work fine.

I agree with Chris Holmes that a small amount of work in Python would
get you a single layered Cache inside TileCache, and this would probably
be more reliable than running two separate instances -- but you want
them on separate machines, which is probably sensible.

Before you go there, though, have you tried stress testing the disk
cache by itself on your hardware? You may find it runs fast enough (or
nearly fast enough).

SDE