[Tilecache] Ok, past resolution issues (I think) but now a new weird error...

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Nov 5 16:23:44 EST 2007

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 12:36:30PM -0600, Steve Lime wrote:
> Thanks Chris: So a MapServerLayer isn't really pure MapServer then correct? If so, then what is it
> and why would I ever use it? My impression was that TileCache is fronting native MapServer operations
> in  python mapscript using WMS calls to TileCache.

Yes. And the mechanism it does that is by loading an OWSRequest:

req = mapscript.OWSRequest()

and setting parameters on it.

This could easily be changed -- I believe Paul has changed it, in fact,
to work around bugs in MapServer 5.0 betas -- so that it would not
require the WMS parameters, but that's not the case at the moment.
(Patches graciously accepted.)

> With a WMS OpenLayers layer I got errors about not having SRS's defined for each layer. I guess
> I expect that, but this new error certainly doesn't lead me to that conclusion.

Which conclusion is that? That your MapServer is not configured for WMS?
I agree that the error message from MapServer for WMS requests on maps
with wms_srs metadata is really poor, but that's a MapServer behavior,
not a TileCache behavior. You'd get the same trying to use your mapfile
directly from OpenLayers.