[Tilecache] Text labels getting smudged with tilecache

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Thu Nov 8 10:39:33 EST 2007

Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 06:58:28PM +0530, louvy.joseph at gmail.com wrote:
>> Fonts are getting smudged/smeared through tilecache while the same tile
>> if not passed through tilecache comes out much crisper from the
>> geoesrver. Has anybody seen this issue? It does not happen for every
>> text label though. Lines or points are fine; the problem is only with
>> the labels. I am guessing that this is some kind of problem with PIL.
>> Isn't the PIL supposed to blindly cut the metaTile? Why would it change
>> the colors? Has anybody seen this? And what could be the root cause?
>
> Are you sure you're using the same mime type to talk directly to
> GeoServer as TileCache is? I'd expect that you've probably got different
> image configurations... for example, one is requesting png8, one is
> requesting png24, somehow.
>
> Regards,

I actually haven't yet figured out how to make TileCache request png8's
from GeoServer.  It says that only png, jpeg and gif are available for
the output types.  To get png8's from GeoServer right now you have to
say 'png8' for the output format, or else specify a palette on 'png'.
But TileCache doesn't seem to allow you to specify png8.  We're working
on some sort of 'auto' param, but is there any way to get TileCache to
request png8 for the output format from the server?

Chris