[Tilecache] cannot identify image file

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Oct 31 12:21:31 EDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 04:55:31PM +0100, Pascal Ehlert wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> First, I'm new to this list and would like to thank all Tilecache
> developers and contributors for their work!
>
> Okay, let's come to the actual problem..
> I'm trying to use the MetaCarta "satellite" layer as a background in
> my application (I hope this is allowed).

Absolutely, though we make no guarentees about uptime.

> I could include it directly into OpenLayers, but I don't want to put
> extra load on the MetaCarta server

This isn't neccesary, but I would recommend you set up your own service
for stability, if you care.

> and am thus trying to use
> Tilecache as a proxy there which, once all images I need are
> downloaded, acts as the only server.

Okay.

> My Tilecache configuration now looks like this:
>
> [MetaCarta_satellite]
> type=WMSLayer
> url=http://labs.metacarta.com/wms-c/Basic.py
> layers=satellite
> extension=png
> metaTile=false
> debug=false

Reading a TileCache with TileCache may not work. It's definitel not
tested. More importantly, though, you have the wrong extension. The
images served are JPGs:

http://labs.metacarta.com/wms-c/Basic.py/1.0.0/satellite/0/0/0.jpg