[Tilecache] Ubuntu, .deb, and sudo tilecache_seed

Scot Wilcoxon scot at wilcoxon.org
Thu Apr 17 16:59:43 EDT 2008

I installed using the .deb file on Ubuntu.  Got an error about not finding
Image; apparently the dependencies didn't mention the Python Imaging
Library so had to manually install the PIL package.  I hope there isn't
something else which is required.

Once I got some tiles appearing I tried to tilecache_seed.  Got an error
about a lock file; apparently tilecache_seed does not merely issue http
requests but is tinkering in the cache files and needs access permissions.
 This being on Ubuntu, tried using sudo to run tilecache_seed as root.
Nope, looks like sudo hung waiting for a password, which it won't get due
to being wrapped in nohup and redirected output (so it can run without a
terminal).  I can create an incantation to run tilecache_seed within the
proper environment, but maybe there should be some instructions of what
the creators think is the proper way to seed.  If root is required then it
should be mentioned; if root is not required then the .deb should create
/tmp/tilecache with different permissions.