[Tilecache] TileCache with Google Maps ?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Apr 28 18:29:48 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 04:01:49PM -0600, Gregor Mosheh wrote:
> Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> >http://crschmidt.net/blog/311/using-tilecache-with-google-maps-and-virtual-earth/
>
> Ah, that's you, Chris. I didn't notice the URL when I read this.
>
> Am I wrong, that the tileUrlTemplate method you're using could only work
> if the cache were already seeded and accessible to the web?

Yes, you are wrong. This works through the TileCache TMS frontend, which
has nothing to do with the backend diskcache.

> I also note that Google Maps' WMS requests use EPSG:54004 and not
> EPSG:900913  I'm fine with listing them both in wms_srs but perhaps you
> could clarify which one is used for what occassions?

Hm? I don't understand what you mean?
 * Google doesn't use WMS at all internally.
 * The TileCache example I posted in that entry doesn't use EPSG:54004
   for anything.

In other words, I have no idea why you're using EPSG:54004 for anything.
Also, the meaning of 54004 is "user defined", so you can define it to
whatever you want it to be: there is no 'common' value of that
projection that you can depend on. (This is why we coined 900913 to
begin with.)

Perhaps you mean "I'm using 54004 to talk to my WMS server already." In
which case, that's between you and your WMS server, not you and me or
TileCache.