[Tilecache] Further insights

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Fri Dec 5 13:12:36 EST 2008

Hi All,

Looking at the possibility of using FS as our "geodata engine", we came
across a number of questions I would like to propose to the list.  As an
organization, we're concerned by the multiplication of
"technologies" (read "programming languages") we need to support.  Even
though people here have no doubt that it would be rather easy to take
the Python learning curve, our current expertise lies more in the PHP
and Java worlds.  Considering that, here are some of the issues we need
to see if they can be solved equally well in the Python world.  Maybe
some of those questions are non sensical, in which case I'll accept the
blame.

- can mod_python live in a Tomcat container ?  We will probably have our
web mapping server live in a different Apache instance anyways, but if
we could manage Tomcat instances that would be preferable.

- can REST operations through JS be monitored by some transactional
process ?  We will be increasingly relying on orchestration services
(e.g. Intalio) for our business processes and we have put together a
SOAP service that handles a transaction object (and potential rollback).
Are any FS users in the same sort of business situation and if so what
do they do ?

- if we were to dynamically generate the featureserver.cfg file, would
we have a way to reload it in an ongoing [mod_python] process ?

- if we had a featureserver.cfg with 100's of entries, would there be
performance issues ?

TIA,

Yves Moisan