[Tilecache] metatiling across multiple servers

Paul Spencer pagameba at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 15:14:44 EST 2008

I am wondering if it is possible to have tile cache make use of meta
tiles when you have several servers involved in tiling.  Specifically,
I have something like:

tc1.xxxx.yyy, tc2.xxxx.yyy <- server 1
tc3.xxxx.yyy, tc4.xxxx.yyy <- server 2

so half the tiles are on server 1 and half are on server 2.  This
makes me think that using meta tiles would be wasting space because
I'd end up with all the tiles on both servers.  Is there a way to
configure things so that it can use meta tiles and still end up with
distributing the disk space between the two servers efficiently?  The
reason for wanting to use meta tiles is to avoid the minor edge
effects and duplicate labeling problems that occur when rendering
tiles using mapserver.

Cheers

Paul