[Tilecache] Caching external WMS through a proxy

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sun Feb 17 23:19:27 EST 2008

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 04:56:03PM -0800, Chris Whitney wrote:
> If I understand the question correctly:
>
> [ Tilecache on Apache] -> [proxy] -> [WMS Server]
>
> If so, this isn't really the responsibility of Tilecache to make sure
> that outgoing HTTP (WMS) requests go through the proxy. Depending on
> what you mean by "proxy"  (is it an HTTP proxy, SOCKS, VPN tunnel, or
> some machine that you SSH tunnel through, etc) you will have to
> configure the operating system / third-party tool correctly.

Not really. There are standard environment variables which control the
use of HTTP Proxies: So long as you don't need authentication, you can
do this without touching the Tilecache code by setting the HTTP_PROXY
environment variable: see the urllib documentation for more.

http://docs.python.org/lib/module-urllib.html