[Tilecache] Tilecache Authentication

Eric Lemoine eric.c2c at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 04:29:58 EST 2008

On Jan 14, 2008 1:47 PM, Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at metacarta.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 11:25:51AM -0000, Gissur Þórhallsson wrote:
> > Hello
> > The problem now is that the tilecache server is still wide open. I'm wondering whether there are any tried and tested ways of authenticating calls to the tilecache?
>
> I would simply use HTTP authentication. Instead of doing anything fancy
> with cookies, sessions, etc. you just use Apache basic auth on the end
> point. Users are automatically prompted by their browser for a login
> when they're browsing tiles.

I have a question related to the use of HTTP auth.

Ok, you start browsing tiles, your browser prompts you for a login,
you log in. And then, you browse your map again. Is the browser going
to prompt you again for a login, or will it automatically send the
login/passwd for you. I guess the answer is the browser will
automatically send the login/password for you. Do you know for how
long the browser will do that for you?

Thanks,
--
Eric