[Tilecache] everyblock use of tilecache & openlayers

Paul Smith paulsmith at pobox.com
Thu Jan 24 13:31:05 EST 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 9:57 AM, Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at metacarta.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 02:53:09PM +0000, Graham Carlyle wrote:
> > interesting to note that Adrian Holovaty's new site EveryBlock uses
> > OpenLayers & tilecache.
> >
> > http://nyc.everyblock.com/streets/brooklyn/kent-ave/473-493/map/
> >
> > wonder why they haven't used the multiple subdomains speedup trick to
> > serve the images.
> >
> > the images seem quite big as well for the amount of detail they contain,
> > wonder if they used mapnik or mapserver to generate them.
>
> They're Mapnik. Mapnik images should be post-processed -- a downsampling

Hi TileCachers,

I'm the developer at EveryBlock working on maps -- we are indeed using
the trifecta of Python geospatial imaging: Mapnik + TileCache +
OpenLayers. Couple of things: we are using multiple subdomains for
TileCache but not (yet) in the manner for speeding up concurrent
requests: the cache is split over the three cities we're serving. I
did this mostly because it fit neatly with my development and testing
pattern, but now that we're launched and mostly stabilized, I'm going
to unify the caches and switch us to the maps-1, maps-2 ... maps-n
subdomain trick.

And, yeah, we aren't yet post-processing the tiles out of Mapnik --
definitely on my short list of near-term improvements. For the reasons
Christopher stated about palette consistency across the entire map,
I'll probably look to downsampling the tiles on the disk, with optipng
or pngcrush or similar.

Cheers,
-Paul

--