[Tilecache] whether to use tilecache to serve tiles

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Jan 28 06:48:28 EST 2008

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 11:18:49AM +0000, Graham Carlyle wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 11:47 +0100, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> > On Jan 28, 2008 11:36 AM, Graham Carlyle <graham.carlyle at maplecroft.com> wrote:
> > > Is the tilecache disk cache directory structure compliant with a TMS
> > > url?
> >
> > No. The problem with the TMS URL is that at high zoom levels there
> > will be tens of thousands of files per directory, and not all
> > filesystems handle that equally wel. So TC uses a structure that
> > limits the files per directory to 1000 and mostly there are less...
>
> Fair enough but it still seems it would be useful for those people who
> aren't constrained by this. Hosting on Amazon S3 would be possible as it
> places no limit on the number of items it can serve from the same
> (simulated) directory.

Sure, but doesn't that mean you would want to change the *s3* cache, not
the Disk Cache? Not sure I understand why you'd want to write the files
out to disk with tilecache then copy them to s3 (though maybe the
tilecache s3 store is 'broken' badly enough that this is significantly
cheaper, I dunno.)

In any case, writing your own subclass of the Disk cache and using that
should be trivial (by design) in the 2.x series. Let me know if you want
help with that.