[Tilecache] Random Seeding Errors

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Jul 9 13:18:07 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 09:58:37AM -0400, Frank Porcelli wrote:
> Hi Group -
>

> We're running tilecache 2.01 on a Linux OS (using mod_python and Apache 2.2)
> and have run into an issue where we receive random errors while running the
> tilecache_seed.py command. It seems that the script will run for a while but
> then all of the sudden return an exception and end abruptly. Below is the
> exception output. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

I don't know how much clearer I can make the error message.

 * Did not get image data back: The server returned non-image data.
 * Here's the URL that failed.
 * Here's the content we got.

If you read that content, you see that it says quite clearly:

java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/u01/app/ims/arcgis/wms/wms/pburg2.3nonline.com-5300/TeleAtlas/capabilities_
1_1_1.xml (Too many open files)

So, your ArcGIS server is screwed. Figuring out why this happens and how
to fix it is beyond the realm of the TileCache list.