[Tilecache] Mod python+ Apache + tilecache 2.04 No map display

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Jul 18 09:41:48 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 11:45:19AM +0200, Xiaoyu Guan wrote:
> Hi Tibor:
> Thanks for your advise.
> as you mentioned, I just try the two link
>
> from http://127.0.0.1/tilecache/tilecache.py/1.0.0/
> I got xml codes like this
>
> <TileMapService version="1.0.0">
> ?$B!]
> <TileMaps>
> <TileMap href="http://127.0.0.1/tilecache/tilecache.py/1.0.0/basic/"
> srs="EPSG:4326" title="basic" profile="global-geodetic"/>
> </TileMaps>
> </TileMapService>

This is expected.

> However, I got error when I open next link
>
> An error occurred: <urlopen error (10060, 'Operation timed out')>

This is not a TileCache problem.

The problem is, specifically, that Python running within mod_python
can't access to the URL that you have configured.

This typically means that something about your configuration doesn't
allow this type of access. Perhaps it's a firewall rule, or something
else.

You can try testing with a python command line: typing:

import urllib
urllib.urlopen('http://labs.metacarta.com/wms/vmap0').read()

If you get the same error: great, fix that, then move on.

Unfortunately, this usually doesn't happen: usually people come back and
say 'it works on the command line, but not in TileCache.'

At that point, it's a problem with your machine/mod_python, which I
don't know how to solve.

However, it's not a TileCache-specific bug, so you'd want to look for
'mod_python urllib timeout' in searches, rather than anything TileCache
specific.