[Tilecache] Seed Script on Windows Stalls

Frank Porcelli frank.porcelli at opensgi.com
Thu Jun 19 08:27:29 EDT 2008

Hi List -

We're noticing a strange phenomenon regarding the use of the
tilecache_seed.py script. We're using OpenLayers 2.5, Python25 (with
mod_python) and TileCache 1.9 on a Windows 2003 server running Apache 2.2.
We're trying to seed a rather large WMS service with broad coverage, so we
would need to have the seeding continue over long periods of time
unattended. When we start seeding our cache the script runs for a while and
all seems well. However, for some reason after several hours the script
stalls (no errors) and won't continue unless I kill the command window and
restart the script. I've seen this happen before on other machines but have
never been able to identify a root cause. At first I thought that perhaps
this was caused by the size of my Apache log files, but I have since turned
off nearly all logging, but we're still having this problem. I have no idea
what could be causing this to happen. Has anyone else run into this type of
problem before or is familiar with this issue?

Thank You,

Frank