[Tilecache] S3 storage and TileCache

Steven M. Ottens steven at minst.net
Thu Nov 13 15:40:56 EST 2008

We don't have the CPU resources to generate all the zoomlevels of all
the layers. Especially the higher zoomlevels take ages and can be
normally generated when requested. The local metadata and redirection
is probably the way we want to go. Although running an EC2 with
tilecache might be a solution as well. The tilecache instance isn't
that resource intensive anyway, currently our server does
mapserver,tilecache.py and tile-caching so moving all tilecache
related stuff to another server isn't a bad idea anyway.

But just curious; how does tilecache keep track of which tiles are
rendered, by just checking its cache? It seems to me that that would
be suboptimal from a performance perspective.

Steven