[Tilecache] S3 storage and TileCache

Steven M. Ottens steven at minst.net
Thu Nov 13 16:07:40 EST 2008

On Nov 13, 2008, at 9:41 PM, Christopher Schmidt wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 12:28:28PM -0800, Josh Livni wrote:
>> Well, to be fair, S3 can give you bandwidth, as long as you
>> request directly
>> from S3.  So if you have a situation where you know you can
>> pregenerate all
>> tiles, for example stored in a TMS or Gmaps structure on S3, then
>> you can
>> just have your client request tiles directly - S3 supplies tiles and
>> bandwidth, and TileCache just pre-renders the tiles for you.   Or
>> perhaps
>> you could have TileCache (on a non-ec2 server) check local tile
>> metadata
>>  (not currently supported) and redirect to S3 if it's there (and
>> put it
>> there if it's not).
>
> Right, I'd say this is the right solution: take the hits on the
> TileCache server, and if the tile exists, redirect to S3. (You can
> always do the redirect, if you do things right, because by the time
> they've followed the redirect, you've finished your .set() onto the
> server.)

I'm not sure the .set() will be quick enough when a massive amount of
non-generated tiles are hit, but it is a start.
I do like the local tile-metadata option and will look into that.
I'm wondering about the tilecache-metadata performance:  Has anyone
used tilecache to manage 200+ layers with 15+ zoomlevels? I'm
guessing that just checking if a tile exists in such a large amount
of tiles isn't optimal. Would something like sqlite be helpful?

Steven