[Tilecache] Convert Spherical Mercator coordinates to Lat/Lng?

chris marx chrismarx at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 19:51:31 EST 2008

sorry, forgot to "reply all"
here's my response:

great that totally worked. I'm going to send a request to Manifold GIS to
officially add that projection. For the moment, my data (which is in the
world mercator) is near its correct position, as long as you're not zoomed
way out. thanks for your help!!!

PS. Manifold GIS doesnt use proj.4, but you can add projections from WKT,
I'll play around with that-

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Dane Springmeyer <blake at hailmail.net>wrote:

> Its TMS (Tile Map Service), right?
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Tile_Map_Service_Specification
> Does manifold use Proj.4 for projections support?  If it does then just
> adding a record for spherical mercator in the espg file should allow the WMS
> to support spherical mercator. If not, then nevermind. :)
>
> Sounds like the openlayers forward/inverse js code is exactly what you
> need, but....  kinda begs the question again... maybe use OpenLayers?
>
> If your digitizing stuff in gmaps is the only hangup - I'd just note that
> OpenLayers has got an impressive editing framework that you could likely
> contribute to.
>
> Dane
>

> On Nov 16, 2008, at 2:13 PM, chris marx wrote:
>
> Hi,
>  I've got the TileCache TSM service working (thanks to the list for tips!),
> but unfortunately, my WMS does not support the "Spherical Mercator"
> projection. For the moment, i rewrote the wms service to switch up the espg
> and coordinates from tilecaches's tsm request and converting them to
> lat/lng, so that at least the WMS request will go through, but I assume a
> standard mercator projection to do the conversion (which is obviously
> wrong). Since my GIS/WMS doesn't support this projection, does anyone have
> the necessary code to convert coordinates from the spherical mercator to
> lat/lng?
> Thanks!
>
> --
>
> Chris Marx