[Tilecache] Anyone try running TileCache on Google App Engine?

chris marx chrismarx at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 19:36:22 EST 2008

Yes,
 I imagined that it would just be a front end, with the tiles on S3 or even
on one of my own servers. I'd also need to be able to hit my wms server, but
thats a normal web service on a standard port, so shouldn't that be
possible? I like the idea of EC2, although thats not free. So, theoretically
it could work?
chris-

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 7:16 PM, Josh Livni <josh at umbrellaconsulting.com>wrote:

> I think the issue is that while you might get a nice # of hits per day, the
> max disk space is quite small (500mb) ... and you have no access to disk
> anyway, so you'd basically be just using it as a frontend to point to
> somewhere else where the actual tiles are... if that location is usually
> somewhere like S3 then you might as well use ec2 instead.
>
> Perhaps for a small amt of tiles you could write a storage where it saves
> them as blobs with a key in the appengine datastore, but I doubt most would
> find the effort worth it.
>
>   -Josh
>
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 4:02 PM, chris marx <chrismarx at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Seems like a good fit, a nice home for a python application.. Anyone tried
>> it? Thoughts?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Chris Marx
>> Programmer/Analyst