[Tilecache] Re solutions issues

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Nov 20 15:54:08 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 03:41:09PM -0500, Yves Moisan wrote:
> I didn't find mod_python in the list of so's of my windows Apache, so do
> you suggest I get mod_python to work or the WSGI standalone mode ?  I
> understand the latter means another server on another port, but is there
> a speed advantage using Paste over Apache ?

The standalone Python BaseHTTPServer doesn't scale well beyond 50
concurrent requests on Linux, in my experience. (It tends to wander off
and get lost in the weeds.) mod_python tends to scale better.

50 concurrent requests maps to 10-20 browsers, or about 50-100 active
concurrent users. Note that you will want to run the basehttpserver with
'-t' to get that kind of performance, otherwise you'll be limited to one
request at a time.