[Tilecache] Quick panning with overlays

Alexandre Dube adube at mapgears.com
Wed Nov 26 13:49:59 EST 2008

Yves,

You can "group" your layers directly in OpenLayers without to do
anything in your mapfile.

See below for an example :
- Layer.MapServer layers names must separated by spaces " "
- Layer.WMS layers names must be separated by comma ","

Hope this helps,

Alexandre

olBDGA = new OpenLayers.Layer.MapServer(
"BDGA map",
szMSURL,
{
map: szBDGAMapPath,
layers: "BDGA_HABIT_S_POLY BDGA_MRC_S_POLY_1M "+
"BDGA_REGIO_S_POLY_1M "+
"BDGA_ROUTE_L_ARC BDGA_ROUTE_L_ARC_ANNO "+
"BDGA_HABIT_P_POINT",
map_imagetype: "aggtrans"
},
{
isBaseLayer: false,
singleTile: true
}
)

Yves Moisan wrote:
>> I think 20 overlays is .. a lot.  especially from a dynamic WMS - must
>> take a while to render, forget panning!  Instead of grouping them in
>> OpenLayers (which would still mean 20 OL layers), can you group them
>> in the WMS -- that helps with things like labeling as well..
>>

> Hey Josh,
>
> Indeed I have 20 some odd overlays and 3 base layers.  Those 3 layers
> are Google hybrid, a blank 1 X 1 gif to act as no base layer and an
> Ikonos image which I've massaged with gdal as per
> http://ms.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/raster_data ch. 10 and which I
> eventually used TC on mod_python for.  None of the overlays are
> Tilecached because they're a bunch of very small shapefiles.  Grouping
> in the WMS means that I need to tweak my mapfile right ?  I tried
> looking for examples on the MapServer site and didn't find anything.  Or
> is that grouping done elsewhere ?
>

>> As for caching, I assume something like TileCache was meant.  I think
>> I actually saw a patch to tilecache recently that lets you do a form
>> of 'cascaded wms' (eg merging of wms layers) in tilecache itself for
>> that matter...
>>

> I guess that applies for TileCached layers only, which isn't my case.
>
> Thanx !
>
> Yves

Alexandre Dubé
Mapgears